How to Apply for Financial Aid | Financial Aid Office
Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid

First Step: Free Application for Federal Student Aid

To be considered for federal financial aid at IVC, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and add Irvine Valley College's Title IV School Code 025395 on the application. Students should complete the FAFSA beginning October 1 of each year. The FAFSA should be completed and submitted to the processing center as soon as possible after October 1st for the next academic year. To be considered for state financial aid, students who qualify for AB540 status may apply using the California Dream Act Application.

California College Promise Grant

Beginning Summer 2021, California residents must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the California Dream Act Application (for AB540 students only) to apply for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) — formerly known as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver or BOGFW. For Spring 2021, the California College Promise Grant application is still available online, click here to apply.

Beginning Fall 2016, CCPG recipients must have at least a 2.0 GPA and complete more than 50% of their coursework in order to retain eligibility for the grant. Students failing to meet academic progress standards by having two (2) or more semesters of academic Probation / Dismissal will lose the CCPG eligibility and should submit an Appeal for the Loss of CA Promise Grant with the Admissions and Records Office for each of the following semesters until the fee waiver automatically roll over for future semesters as long as the student submits a FAFSA / CA Dream App / CCPG app each academic year. For more information, visit the Probation & Dismissal webpage.

Cal Grant

The Cal Grant eligibility requires submission of the FAFSA (or CA Dream Act Application) and the GPA Verification Form. The form can be downloaded from the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) website. If you have completed:

  • 0-15 transferable units at IVC: you must submit your high school GPA.
  • 16 transferable units at IVC: your college GPA will automatically be sent. You do not have to complete a GPA Verification Form.
  • 16-23 transferable units at IVC: you have the option to use your high school GPA or college GPA (whichever is higher).
  • 24 or more transferable units at IVC: you must use your college GPA. You do not have to complete a GPA Verification Form as our college GPA will automatically be sent.

Please note that IVC transmits GPA information to CSAC each September and February for current and former students.

The deadline for the Cal Grant is March 2 of every year, to be awarded for the upcoming academic year. There is an extended deadline date of September 2 for community college students, but competing with other late applicants for a limited number of Cal Grant awards. For additional information on Cal Grants, visit CSAC's website.

Irvine Valley College Foundation Scholarships

The IVC Foundation Scholarship Application will be available in November and closes in February. Scholarships will be awarded to students the following academic year. For more information please visit the IVC Foundation Scholarship.

What to Expect After Submitting the FAFSA

After IVC has received your information electronically from the Federal Processor, the Financial Aid Office will contact you to let you know if there are additional forms you may need to submit, such as copies of IRS Tax Return Transcripts and/or verification of family size, number of family members in college, untaxed income, and other information you reported on your FAFSA. After all forms and documents are reviewed and processed, you should receive an estimated Financial Aid Award notification email indicating what financial aid program(s) you are eligible to receive at IVC.

Verification and the IRS Data Retrieval Tool

The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects students for a process called verification. As part of this process, financial aid offices are required to collect IRS tax return transcripts from both students and their parents if they are considered dependent students. In order to expedite the process of your application, it is recommended that students and their families use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool so that tax return transcripts do not need to be submitted as these could take several weeks to receive from the IRS.

If a tax return transcript is requested, it must be ordered from the IRS. There are three options available for students to obtain a tax return transcript:

  • Online: Go to
    1. Under Tools, select "Get Your Tax Record"
    2. Select "Get Transcript Online" or "Get Transcript by Mail"
    3. Follow instructions on page
    4. Under "Type of Transcript", be sure to order a "Return Transcript" for the required Tax Year
  • By Phone: Call 1-800-908-9946
  • By Paper: IRS Form 4506T-EZ may be downloaded through the IRS website.
  • In-Person: Click here to find your local IRS office​

Priority Consideration

Students should complete their FAFSA and other related materials as soon as possible each year, but no later than March 2 to ensure that they are awarded in a timely manner and receive any subsequent disbursement.​