Frequently Asked Questions | Financial Aid Office
Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

What types of federal financial aid are available?

There are two types of federal financial aid programs available at Irvine Valley College: grants and work-study. A grant (Pell or FSEOG) is money that does not need to be paid back. Federal Work-Study consists of a part-time job on or off-campus that provides income to help students pay for educational expenses.

What is a CCPG Fee Waiver?

A "CCPG Fee Waiver" or the California College Promise Grant is an enrollment fee waiver program provided by the state of California to California residents attending a California community college. This state fee waiver was designed to provide educational assistance for eligible students by waiving the enrollment fees. Students can apply by completing the online California College Promise Grant ​application and/or the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students may qualify for the CCPG Fee Waiver based on receipt of certain forms of public assistance, by meeting specific income standards or by completing the FAFSA and having "financial need". This is the most accessible form of all financial aid programs offered at Irvine Valley College.

How do I apply for federal financial aid?

You must complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You can do this electronically at and you will receive a confirmation upon your FAFSA application being processed. Do not forget to list Irvine Valley College (IVC) on your FAFSA so that the College receives your information electronically. IVC's Title IV School Code is 025395.

Is there anything else that I have to submit to the IVC Financial Aid Office?

After the Financial Aid Office receives an electronic version of your FAFSA, the office will send you a missing information email notification for any additional documents (or information) that are needed to help complete your financial aid file. If you do not receive any email notification requesting additional information or if no required documents are listed on My Financial Aid Portal, then please allow 2-4 weeks for the Financial Aid Office to process your information and award your financial aid. You are encouraged to regularly​ check My Financial Aid Online for updates.

What is Verification?

Verification is the process which students need to provide additional documentation or information to prove that the information theyreported on the FAFSA is correct. The U.S. Deptartment of Education notifies the Financial Aid Office which files to audit. Usually, verification begins by submitting a photocopy of your and/or your parent's federal tax return transcripts and a verification worksheet. Additional information may be requested to resolve missing or conflicting information which will most likely delay the completion of your file.

Do I have to go to school full-time in order to receive financial aid?

No. You may be eligible for most federal and state financial aid programs if you attend school at least half-time (6 units or more), however, the amount of financial aid received may be prorated according to the number of units a student is enrolled in at the time of the disbursement of aid.

If I am eligible for financial aid, how often will I receive the​ money?

Generally, Pell Grant recipients receive two direct deposits or checks each semester. One deposit or check comes at the beginning of the term and one approximately half-way through the term. Other grant aid is disbursed once each semester. Work-Study students are paid once a month via a paycheck. For more information on disbursements, please visit the "Disbursement Information" webpage.

How much money can I get if I apply for financial aid?

It depends upon your family's income, assets and other information reported on the FAFSA. The maximum Pell Grant for 2018-2019 is $6,095 or 2019-2020 is $6,195 and Work-Study awards are generally $2,000 to $4,000 per year.

If I am living away from my parents am I considered to be "Independent"?

Not necessarily. Applicants who apply for federal financial aid and who are under the age of 24 when they complete the FAFSA are considered to be dependents unless the student:

  1. ​is married at the time of applying for federal student aid;
  2. is a graduate or professional student;
  3. has legal dependents (other than spouse). This is defined as any children who get more than half of their support from the student. It also includes other people who live with the student and get more than half of their support from the student, and will continue to get that support during the upcoming school year;
  4. is a veteran and has been engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast guard) or are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for other than state or training purposes, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, and were released under a condition other than dishonorable;
  5. is a ward of the court or both parents are deceased;
  6. is a emancipated minor as determined by the court in the student's state of legal residence; or
  7. has been determined to be an unaccompanied youth who is homeless.

After the beginning of the semester, how long does it take from the time I submit my FAFSA to when I can expect to receive my first check?

Usually 2-8 weeks depending if additional information is needed to complete your file, such as verifications and/or any appeals.

Why does it take so long to receive the money?

It takes a long time because many students attending Irvine Valley College are applying for financial aid. Here is a rough breakdown of the steps and the approximate time frame for each: For you to receive your SAR (Student Aid Report after you have submitted the FAFSA) and then submit the requested documents to the Financial Aid Office: 2-4 weeks. For the Financial Aid Office to process your documents and then send an award letter: 4-6 weeks. For your financial aid check to be processed 2 weeks.

I did not get a response from the U.S. Department of Education after submitting my FAFSA. Is there a number I can call to find out what happened?

1 (800) 4 FED AID / 1 (800) 433-3243
Note: If you provided an e-mail address, your SAR will be sent to you electronically.

I have a job that allows me to pay my bills but does not offer much upward mobility. I want to go back to school, full-time, and then transfer to a four-year university. Can I afford to quit my job and go to school?

We do not recommend that you quit your job unless you truly feel that you cannot work and go to college at the same time. Financial aid is meant to supplement, not supplant, a student's income. You may also be eligible for scholarships or a work-study job.

Do I have to pay a student loan back?

Yes. Payments for student loans begin once a student leaves school for six months (or falls below half-time enrollment for six months).

Is there a deadline for applying for federal financial aid?

Yes. Students may submit a FAFSA application as early as October 1 for the academic year that begins in the following fall semester. Students that apply by March 2 may qualify for a Cal Grant and may receive priority consideration for several types of federal financial aid. Students should apply for assistance as early as possible.

Do I have to "do well" in school to receive federal financial aid?

Yes. Students applying for financial aid and receiving federal financial aid need to complete a certain number of units and have a minimum GPA of at least 2.0 each semester. In addition, students need to maintain an overall completion rate of at least 67% and an overall GPA of at least 2.0. This is called maintaining "Satisfactory Academic Progress" (SAP) at Irvine Valley College. Read more about the "Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)" policy at Irvine Valley College.

How long can I receive federal financial aid at Irvine Valley College?

Provided that you maintain satisfactory academic progress, you may receive federal financial aid until you exceed 150% of the published length of an eligible program in which you are enrolled. Students in 60-unit AA/AS programs or planning to transfer to a 4-year college or university will need to complete their studies by the time they attempted 90 units.

Do I have to re-apply for federal financial aid every year?


Can I attend IVC and another community college and get financial aid from IVC for my enrollment at both schools?

Yes, however, students cannot receive federal financial aid at two different colleges at the same time. IVC participates in Financial Aid Consortium Agreements with other community colleges. You will have to have the Consortium Agreement form filled out by the host campus and returned to the IVC Financial Aid Office.

When will my grant check be distributed?

After a student receives a Financial Aid Award Notification from the IVC Financial Aid Office and classes have begun for the term, the student can expect to receive his/her financial aid funds as a direct deposit to the student’s checking or savings account or as a check mailed to the student's home address on file with Admissions & Records. Students must be sure to keep their home and/or mailing address(es) current and accurate. Payments will be issued in accordance with the​ schedule listed on "Disbursement Information" webpage.

If I drop a class, does my financial aid award amount change?

Yes, the amount of financial aid will be decreased accordingly.