Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content

Withdrawing from Classes Policies and Procedures

Federal law requires that you pay back money if you withdraw from school.

  • If you get a grant and then withdraw from ALL your classes before completing 60% of the term you enrolled in, you will OWE money back to the federal program(s).
  • According to the day you withdraw, the Financial Aid Office will calculate how much of the grant you have "earned." NOTE: If you withdraw after completing 60% of the term, you do not owe any repayment.

If you are thinking of withdrawing or just leaving, please think again.

  • See a counselor and discuss your academic or personal reasons for leaving. Perhaps you can stay but take fewer courses.
  • Inquire about services (like tutoring or personal support) that will help you stay in school.
  • Talk to your professors. See what advice and help they can offer.

Don’t leave unless you must. But if you make the decision to leave, take care of business before you go.

  • Begin the withdrawal process at the Admissions and Records Office.
  • Notify the IVC Financial Aid Office as soon as you withdraw.
  • You will be notified in writing regarding how much you owe and your repayment options.
  • Please contact the Financial Aid Office. It is important to take care of the details before you go. If you do not repay any money you owe, the Financial Aid Office will have to put a national HOLD on your student aid eligibility.