Federal Direct Loan Process
If you are interested in applying for a Federal Direct Loan, please note the following:
- You must have a completed financial aid file at IVC before the Financial Aid Office can process your request for a Federal Direct Loan. This means you must have completed a FAFSA and turned in required documents requested by the Financial Aid Office. Your file is complete once you have been sent an Award Letter from the Financial Aid Office.
- You must be enrolled in six (6) units of standard semester coursework (eight week classes are subject to a later disbursement).
- You must complete Entrance Loan Counseling online at https://studentloans.gov. Click on Sign In; then click on Complete Entrance Counseling. Once this has been completed the Financial Aid office will be notified.
- If you are a new borrower at IVC you must complete a Master Promissory Note online at https://studentloans.gov. Click on Complete Master Promissory Note. After your Master Promissory Note has been electronically signed, the Financial Aid office will be notified.
- You must complete a Federal Direct Loan Request Form and return it to the Financial Aid Office. Forms are available online, under Financial Aid Forms.
You will receive a Revised Award letter once the loan has been processed. Processing your loan takes approximately four to six weeks from the time that you are sent your Revised Award Letter.
Your loan funds are disbursed once each semester (Fall and Spring). These disbursements ARE NOT on the same dates as the Federal Pell Grant disbursements. Your loan funds will be issued on the IVC MoneyNetwork Cash Card.
Please make sure that the Financial Aid Office has your correct address. The IVC MoneyNetwork Cash Card is mailed to the address that you have provided on the 2017-2018 FAFSA. If this address is not correct, you may complete a Change of Address form in the Financial Aid Office. Please note that you MUST have a photo I.D. to make an inquiry in the Financial Aid Office.