Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content

About State of California Financial Aid Programs

NOTICEYou must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for the following state programs. You must be a U.S. citizen (or an eligible noncitizen) and a resident of California to be eligible for state aid . If you are in default on a student loan or owe a refund on a federal grant, you are ineligible for state aid other than the BOGW program.

Cal Grant B and C

These state funded grants are available to California residents who apply by March 2nd for the next school year and qualify on the basis of merit, financial need and/or vocational program. This funding is limited. In addition to completing and filing a FAFSA (or California Dream App for AB540 students), a separate application - commonly referred to as the "Cal Grant GPA Verification Form" - must also be submitted. If students have completed a certain number of units at a college, the school may submit this information on the student's behalf. Irvine Valley College transmits GPAs electronically every February and August. If you have completed:

  • 0-15 transferable units at IVC you must submit your High School GPA.
  • 16 transferable units at IVC your college GPA will automatically be sent. You do not have to complete a GPA Verification Form.
  • 16-23 transferable units you have the option to use your High School GPA or College GPA (whichever is higher).
  • 24 or more transferable units you must submit your college GPA.

Only Cal Grant B and C may be used at Irvine Valley College, but Cal Grant A may be used for future study if you decide to transfer to a four-year college or university in California. If you missed the March 2nd filing deadline, you may still qualify by meeting the September 2nd Deadline for community college students only. Visit the Financial Aid Office for additional information or go online to It is recommended that students go to to setup an account with the California Student Aid commission to regularly check on the status of their Cal Grant.

Students awarded a Cal Grant C can only be paid for vocational courses; no funds will be disbursed for general education courses. Other restrictions may apply. For additional information please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Students intending to transfer to a 4-year college or university should not use more than 200% of their Cal Grant Award at IVC. In order to reserve potential future grant eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 949-451-5287.